Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thorain Toradur

The accounts within are of this strange band of lone wolves and children of the sun: the band with which I, Thorain Toradur have both the pleasure and distinct burden by contract of accompanying.

The nights thus far have been much warmer with the company of my new found companions. I cannot tell yet whether we are friends or rivals, or whether we shall last a week in these wild lands which we explore, but I count myself lucky to have them by my side. One could say that we are the most unlikely of bands, but then, they would be discrediting the uniqueness of each individual. Instead, I shall say that each of my companion's distinctions has given way to inevitable eccentricity, or quite distinguished individualism.

First, I shall shed light upon the man who sheds most upon himself, he goes by the name Kysziem Danswitch. A tall and good looking fellow to be sure, he is as true as a doppleganger and quicker of tongue than any charlatan I have ever met. The lies which he has taken the care to weave about himself are so myriad and confounding that it is difficult to discern truth from fiction wether his intent is to deceive or not. About the only thing that I am certain of is that Kysziem Danswithch is not his real name, which makes me wonder at his severe and agitating desire to have our party known as the "Danswitch Expedition." His propensity toward fiction makes me wonder at his intent if any in this preposterous title (especially considering his ineptitude in the out of doors). Luckily the young human has a natural charisma about him which has no doubt kept his head upon his shoulders, and will likely do the same for us in desperate times.

For all of Kyziem's lies, the giant Gren counters him with simple truth. Simple should be the man's moniker, his thoughts appear upon his face before they are spoken, and his actions are always foreshadowed by those preceding. Such simplicity is refreshing though, in the company of my other allies, and is luckily accompanied by a fervent desire to do Iomedae's will; a woman who should never steer him toward evil. If anything, I would say that the man desires to lead others toward good and fortunately has such an honest face that others would follow him. I sense another tendency in the man, that of a malleable mind; his human (although the repugnant dwarf has voiced thoughts to the contrary) mind is already susceptible to persuasion, and he seems quite receptive to the words and emotions of others. I can only hope that Iomedae protects him from evil intentions and that we may be able to guide the hand of a noble heart, for the world is far more complex than the perception of a shallow river of thought.

Some rivers are shallow and others deep. Yet others run deep and clear and some run with the murk of a thousand mires. Horrace is a river so murky that it is impossible to tell it's depth. I have never liked dwarves. Although they claim to see everything as it is and tend away from the foolish fancies of elves or men, Dwarves have become so stagnant in their vision of the world that if all the surface were to be obliterated in the fires of a thousand dragons, they would barely change their ways. Unfortunately, Horrace has been no doubt victim of his people's narrow view of the world and sees at much more obtuse angles than his cousins. For this I have grown to like the diminutive son of Torag although I do not know if he would recognize the god. Instead, the Dwarf claims to follow the will of Phirasma, a fact which confuses me. Although I am little acquainted with the goddess, his tenants seem contradictory to those of his goddess. While the goddess seems little concerned with justice, Horrace seems quite fervent in his judgement of all those whom he kills. I wonder whether the goddess cares little for his motives in dealing out death and healing or if he is blessed by another than who he follows, but the Dwarf surely possesses the powers of the gods, and is formidable because of it.

I suppose time will reveal the truth of my companions. I can see that we have all dealt with the challenges of adversity and still survived. I hope that the coming days or weeks shall show us kindness or if cruel, that we persevere and grow through our pains. In any case, my continued writings shall reveal all.

----Thorain Toradur

ps

We came across a strange omen. A Tatzlwyrm; hiding within the hollow of a tree, barely enough room to slither, I spotted it within sanctuary. I do not know whether it meant me harm, or if it acted in self defense but it sprayed Gren with some debilitating poison, at which point my companions descended upon the beast with weapons drawn. All I could do is watch as the beast was torn limb from limb, vivisected before me. I told my companions that I wanted to inspect the strange creature's anatomy. So I did, as it's innards spilled forth, I burnt my hands in the monster's bile. I dared not tell the others but, from the bile i withdrew the small body of a Kingfisher gripping the wooden shaft of a tree, as such it resembled the scepter of office. This land I know shall make great men, but could consume us. I sense within the lines of magic and fate that we are in the realms of kings, but even kings must be wary for they are only fodder to those above them. In the end, we all are mere mortals.

No comments:

Post a Comment