Saturday, October 29, 2011

Gren Lorkev : A light in the Dark

When Skywatche closed its gates mysteriously in 4699 AR, the Fortress of Stoneclimb had to rely on the smaller villages surrounding it for supplies an trade. The port town of Oaks Nest is the setting for the beginning our tale.

Being the Bastard son of the town Whore Gren has never had it easy, but he managed to stay clear of the law and even get a job working the port. It was on his way to work that he would meet someone that would change his life forever.

"Give us yur money old man!" Gibin yelled. One of the street tuff's friend's kicked the man again.
"If your cold I have a fire, if your hungry I can feed you." The old man groaned.
"That's not how this go's ya fool."Gibin mocked

Gren had his hood pulled tight an was toying with his new beard he hoped it would make him look more acceptable. Movement caught his eye up ahead. a gang of youth's were gathered around something.
"Are they beating something, wait that's a man!"Gren Finally made out the submissive figure under the boot's of the street rabble. At that Moment a righteous wrath took hold of gren an he lost himself.

"Well old man, gunna give us what we want?" Just then Gibin became aware of a shadow looming over him.
"Unforgivable!" As Gibin turned to address the speaker a mighty right hook sent him spiraling into unconsciousness. Seeing this Gibin's Gang swarm the interloper. Taking more punches than he dodges Gren sends each to the ground with one powerful blow. Suddenly There's an explosion of pain in Gren's lower back. He turns to see the last of Gibin's gang trembling behind him.

"how are you still standing?" the boy stammers. An uppercut answer's his question an shatters his jaw. Gren walks over to the beatin figure and slumps down finally feeling the pain from the knife in his back.

The old man rolls onto his back an looks up an for the first time in many years sees a light.
"Oh bless these blind eye's of mine." The old man sheds a tear.
" Are you okay sir?" Gren moans.
"Thanks to you a think I will be." The old man gives a quiet prayer an Gren feels a warm glow caress his body.
"Ah that's better isn't it"
"much" Gren casually pulls the dagger out of his back.
"What was that warmth?"
"Iomedae's love, child."
"Iomedae? Never heard of her."
"Yes well Torag is more common." The man chuckles.
"Come now there's something I must show you."
"But I have to get to my Job."
"Now, now I wont take no for an answer. Oh where are my manner's my name is Joseph McConnolly."
"Um...Gren."
"Pleasure to meet you, now come along."

Gren hesitantly followed Joseph through the streets till they reached their destination. It was a small house on the edge of town. Next to the door emblazoned on the wall was a emblem of a woman clad in robes with sword an shield held to her bosom flank by the sun.

"come in lad." Joseph gestured inside as he opened the door. There was a shrine of the same woman in the middle of the room with several pillows around it.
"You live in a chapel?"
"Well I actually live in the back, but I suppose it's true."
"Please sit. I have something for you." Joseph walked with his hand gliding along the wall, till he reached a shelf with several books on it. He slid his fingers down the spines of each book til he found what he was looking for.
"What are you doing?"
"Ah you mean the finger's, well you see I'm quiet blind. When I'm outside it's just a matter of counting my steps, but once I get indoors things get a Little more tricky." Joseph turned around and smiled, hear I want you to have this. He walked over and plopped it onto Gren's lap.
"What is it?"
"A book filled with the holy word of Iomedae."
"Look I think you have the wrong idea." Gren made to get up an leave.
"No, sit an read and I'll make us something to eat."
Gren sat down, not quite sure why.
"Uh okay fine."
As Gren read a found a whole world spread before him. One of Honor, justice, valor and peace. This world was one that could be carved from the one around him. But it needed guardians, he could be this guardian. Before he knew it it was night fall and there was a bowl of cold stew next to him.
"Thank you this book has done more for me than you could know."
"Oh I thought you might like it. I have a couple other thing Id like you to have, and there's someplace Id like you to visit for me."Joseph smiled kindly.

No comments:

Post a Comment